Not long now until our MISA Scotland 20th anniversary celebration event and courses at the end of September….exciting!! We so look forward to welcoming the founders of our Massage in Schools Programme, Sylvie Hetu and Mia Elmsater, to these celebrations from the 28th – 30th September in Kilmarnock. We hope you will join us at some or all of the events and if you need an overnight stay, we can recommend the Premier Inn and the Park Hotel (celebration event will be held here on the 30th). Here are the details:
Thursday 28th September 2023 – Touch & Move to Learn Course, 9am-12.30pm, Kilmarnock (venue tbc), £45, delivered by Sylvie Hetu – Open to all MISP instructors, educators and parents.
Touch & Move to Learn training is a continuing education course that focuses on active learning and how movement/using our bodies can enhance learning and integration, connecting the body and mind and providing all learners with a form of exercise. These activities will focus on the school curriculum and how we can use touch and movement to improve engagement in all areas. Participants receive a certificate of attendance.
Friday 29th September 2023 – Mini MISP Course, 9am-4pm, Kilmarnock (venue tbc), £95, delivered by Sylvie Hetu – Open to MISP instructors, IAIM instructors and those working in Early Years settings.
The Mini MISP is designed for 2 & 3 year old children and may be seen as a follow on from Baby Massage and before the MISP (designed for 4-12 year olds). Mini MISP focuses on simple peer massage strokes accompanied with short stories. Training will be tailored appropriately for children of this age and stage across the day. Participants will receive a Mini-MISP instructor certificate.
Saturday 30th September 2023 – MISA Celebration Event , 10am – 3pm – Free and open to all, includes a buffet lunch!
This celebration event will include a keynote speaker session led by Sylvie Hetu on epigenetics and brain plasticity in relationship with the MISP, talks and activities led by MISA Scotland, the MISP co-founders and others from our MISP community.
The courses and celebration event are being subsidised by MISA Scotland. Please get in touch soon to book your place! Email Dougie Mirfin, firstname.lastname@example.org or Isabel Fraser, email@example.com
Parents join children for Massage.
Wonderful massage and great delivery from kids
MISP Comments from families...
- Lovely to have massage from your grandkids.
- Lovely to see all the kids faces, so proud sharing what they've learned and nice to be a part of it. Very chilled.
- Wonderful massage and great delivery from kids.
- Love the whole idea and course, so important! Great for bonding, thank you!
- Very impressed with the session and the enthusiasm of the children, thank you!
- The format is great for the children.
- Very relaxing and very fun for both of us, thank you!
- I had concerns about how much 'choice' the children really have about whether they want to take part or not but I feel very reassured and again it's lovely to experience, feel the calm atmosphere and hear about the science. Thank you!
- Loved the session.
- Very much enjoyed by both mum and child. Great initiative to have in schools.
- Would be useful to have the cards shared. I will use at home.
- Lots of fun and really special to be a part of, thank you!
- Absolutely, fantastic session, will continue at home.
- What a lovely activity to do and I will try this at home for bedtime routine. Thank you!
- R has enjoyed putting her skills into action at home. I have loved being the recipient, thank you!
- 20 families were represented with a total of 19 evaluations collected.
- 100% said that the format to deliver the course was effective and the content was relevant. 18 said they 'agreed strongly' with 1 person saying they 'agreed'.
- 95% (18/19) said that they 'agreed strongly' at being able to transfer learning into practice at home. One person said that they had 'no opinion either way' (grandmother).
MISP Instructor Comments
- Heart-warming to look around a packed room and see so many adults being able to join in the MISP routine with their children. It was lovely to see so many calm and relaxed faces when the adults were being taught the routine by their children.
- The adults then got to try out the ‘Weather Massage’ and the children laughed and enjoyed the massage being returned by the adults. Nice family bonding time was experienced without the need for I.T.
- There was so much love and happiness in the room and everyone left feeling really positive about themselves and the MISP. Was a wonderful experience for everyone and it reminded me as an instructor, why this programme is beneficial to the health and wellbeing of many!
These are the minutes from 15 October 2022.
Finally, the world looks like returning to more of a norm after the pandemic. However, it has become apparent that many children have forgotten how to interact and socialise appropriately with their peers. This has been witnessed in schools across the country. It seems that many children have been deprived of elements of play, connection and how to show kindness and respect with one other. Some children appear to be developmentally behind where they should be in relation to their age and stage.
MISA (Massage in Schools Association) feels that there is a requirement to reintroduce and relaunch the Massage in Schools Programme in order to address many of these issues. Schools have started teaching the routine in some parts of the country including East Ayrshire Council. Early research suggests that children are craving fun active learning, safe touch and opportunities for health and wellbeing to be improved. We know, as MISP Instructors, we have the programme and the tools to help and support this!
We are calling on all MISP Instructors in Scotland to help us relaunch the MISP. In order to do this, we are inviting you to a free Refresher Course and information sharing day at the Park Hotel in Kilmarnock on Saturday 15th October from 11am until 2pm. This will give us an opportunity to take part in the MISP routine as well as Touch and Move to Learn activities. We can also explore options for supporting MISP instructors to bring the routine back to life across Scotland. There is an added bonus of lunch being provided for those that attend! The board at MISA Scotland cannot face this challenge alone. We need your advice, guidance and creativity to help us all to move forward again.
Please let us know if you are able to attend by replying by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you on the 15th October!
With warm wishes,
Isabel, Jac, Dougie & Fiona
The MISA Scotland Committee
Taster and information sessions begin on Saturday 6th November
Wednesday, 24th March 6.30 – 8pm
Emma Snellgrove biography:
Massage in Schools Programme online!
MISP Instructors are running fun, engaging and creative massage sessions online for children and families to access easily. These are run as a block of 4 sessions and are for children aged 2 – 12 years old along with their parents/carers. MISA Scotland are funding some of these sessions so they will be free for families. See the first pilot study of these online sessions here.
To find out more and to book your place, please contact Isabel Fraser, email@example.com, 01968 661335
Feedback results for online teaching – instructor, Clare Houston
Our meetings are always informal but very informative! We’ll begin with a stroke review which will get the oxytocin flowing and activate our creative, focused minds for the rest of the day. We’ll have the official AGM business which won’t take long and then catch up on local, national and international MISP happenings. Dougie Mirfin, from East Ayrshire Support Team, will update us on the current MISP research being undertaken in the schools in his area and their future goals with the MISP. There will be time for everyone attending the meeting to share a bit about their own MISP experiences and intentions for the year.